Monday 12 September 2022

Bee Crafty - Bargello Butterfly

 Can't quite concentrate at the moment so I've gone  with a technique post this week. Bargello paper quilting with a few of the larger shimmery pieces in my fodder box. This traditional quilting technique has been around for a while and I have seen different paper versions by Julia Watts and SplitCoastStampers. The repetitive measuring, cutting & sticking is a very mindful process and a lovely way of using up your scraps


I started by going through my collection of paper scraps and picked out some of the shimmery ones at least 15cm long.
Used a paper trimmer to cut some 15mm and 25mm strips.
I cut a piece of double sided adhesive sheet 21cm x 14 cm. 
Alternatively could had used card & glue instead. 
Peeled one of the protective sides off, exposing the adhesive. Used the carrier sheet to stop myself sticking to the adhesive. I started with a 25mm strip and stuck it to the edge of the sticky sheet, landscape oriented, then a 15mm strip, different colour.
Alternated the wider and thinner strips and colours until the sheet was filled.
Used scissors to trim the excess card from the edges, turned the card 90 degrees so the coloured lines are horizontal. then used a paper trimmer to cut 25mm and 15mm strips again. I was careful to keep the strips all the same way up, blue end at the top and the purple at the base.
Arranged the strips to find a pattern I liked - this one...
or this one...
Went with the second layout.
Cut a second piece of the 2 sided adhesive 14cm x 14cm and stuck the strips down. I realised later that I could have just peeled the carrier from the back of each strip but hey ho...
When the sheet was filled I trimmed the excess card with scissors.
Edged around the panel with black pigment ink, peeled the carrier sheet off the back of the panel and  onto a black card matt with a 6mm (1/4") border.
Then onto a 7" x7" white card blank. 
I know you aren't supposed to fall in love with the background, but I did 💖💖💖.
I stamped a sentiment from Creativity Words onto black card and heat embossed with white embossing powder.
I stamped the large butterfly from the Birds & Butterflies XL onto acetate and white heat embossed again.
Cut around the butterfly, applied pva glue and black glitter to the back and left it to dry. 
Trimmed the sentiment and attached it with double sided foam pads. When the glue on the acetate  dried, bent back the wings and fixed to the card with foam pads.

Finally glued a couple of black gems to the top right.

I hope you have enjoyed this week's project and thank you for stopping by xxx

Products Used

  • Heat tool, pva glue, foam pads, paper trimmer,  scissors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visible Image - Sunny Birthday

 This week I've used the gorgeous Sunflower Grunge stamps from Visible Image to make a bright and sunny birthday card for my mum, Decemb...